7.20.2007

Playground Ballin' in the Nation's Capital

I lived in D.C for a year in 2002, and when I wasn't working and checking out the local landmarks, I was running full court hoops at the courts in Adams Morgan (especially after my bike got stolen - ouch).

The talent level at that particular court was better than what I was used to in Boston, especially at the point guard position. As much as you can have set positions in pickup basketball, the smaller, quicker, better ball-handlers ruled - always looking to run and always willing to dish the rock to an open teammate (even when some passes caromed off unsuspecting heads).

Other than my girlfriend at the time, I hardly knew anyone in D.C., and the regular players at the Adams Morgan court became my almost-constant companions. More than a couple times I rounded the corner to the courts and there were five or six dudes sitting around waiting for someone with a ball to show up. I'd just roll it out and the game was on.

The photo above is from a court on Euclid Street in D.C. with an insane "Wizard Of Oz" themed graffiti mural. Good games at this court on the weekends, and you can graze the free samples at Whole Foods down the street post-game.

Sign up to run hoops at Meadowbrook Park in Chevy Chase (up the road from D.C. on the Maryland border). Two courts and they both have lights -no need for the night-vision goggles.

Dave McKenna has a great piece in the Washington City Paper about how D.C.'s traditional "make-it, take-it" rule is being slowly usurped by "loser's outs." It's a great look at playground basketball history in Cap City.

The templates for the slick and slippery D.C. ball-handlers are Steve Francis and Allen Iverson, who both perfected their games on the Capital's playgrounds. Chris Palmer at ESPN The Magazine writes about these and other D.C. streetball legends and the city's signature move - the killer crossover.

No comments: